Sunday 16 March 2008

Meaning of life

After bouts of negative emotions, light seems to be emerging at the end of the tunnel. (just to sound more sentimental). There are always bad days, and they will pass.

My sister wrote an email to me about her reflection on the meaning of life - actually I didn't consciously write about it.


My sister says it's a purpose driven life.

And she has given me a lovely quote from the Bible.

'You are the light of the world. A city on hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on the stand, and gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.'
matthew 5:14-16


I'm not a philosopher though I'd quite like my learned friend to enlighten me on the underlying philosophical debate.

But to me, I believe in determinism too, and life is not really up to us to control. An individual's life is only set in the wider context of fate and destiny - depending on, amongst others, where you are born, raised etc, who you meet in life, what you see the first time your reason has started to function...

We're all influenced by our environment and I think to the extent that all our 'choices' and 'purposes' are not really our own - they are all conferred or actually imposed upon us. Sometimes I think, ah this is an 'epiphany' - i know what i'm going to do now, as if there was a breakthrough. But actually if you think back, that comes from some day, somewhere, or someone.


I really dont know what life is about because this is all too complicated.

Everyone has different values and it is these values that inform us what we think life ought to be about. And many people who dare to stick their head out to say 'i have a different opinion' - they always seem to me to either have an extraordinary source of support in some way, or they withdraw from society.

It's not easy to be in the minority, and when you think everyone else has got it wrong.

It's even harder to express your stance clearly and tell everyone that they are fucking idiots.

It's however very easy to conform and go with the flow. That's probably the meaning of my life. To be driven by the leading stream of this chaotic era.

No comments: