Tuesday 6 May 2008

The point of studying law

One of the jokes people here like to make about me is that I'm studying law because my surname is Law - fair enough, given Law is a rare surname for the English people.

As I've been spending the last four years studying law, and pretty much dedicated most of my time to it, I feel the need to justify the point of this endeavour - especially as that would give me an additional motivation for the coming exams.

To put it in hefty/idealistic/perhaps pretentious (to some)/natural lawyer's language, studying law isn't really about the professional career in itself; rather, it is the common good served by law. I still believe that legal training is very useful -

1. I can play a part in the legal services sector.
2. I can apply the wisdom of law across a broader range of fields in society.
3. I believe in the Rule of Law in the central sense.

Brilliant. I've become a massive geek and sounding as annoying as I can...

Other reasons: £? self-preservation? not exploitation of others...

Now back to the law.

With thoughts of different people, past memories and visions about the future.....

2 comments:

said...

I didn't realise that you have been studying law for 4 instead of 3 years.....

And, you deserve credit for your political correctness i.e. using £ instead of $. (While I am still using $ as a matter of habit....)

smith said...

I've always wanted to speak to a couple people who got their law degrees from an online school of law to see how their experience of studying law differed from mine - I went to a brick & mortar uni - and have always been interested in the online study experience.

studying law